● When to apply?
The yearly application period is from February 1st through March 31st, unless specified otherwise.
● Where to apply?
Applicants who are US citizens and have a permanent address or are currently enrolled or have been enrolled within the past three years full-time in a university located in the following areas: Southern California, Arizona, New Mexico, Hawaii, Caroline Islands, Guam, Marshall Islands, Mariana Islands, and American Samoa, please send all required documents to:
Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in Los Angeles
3731 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 770
Los Angeles, CA 90010
Attention: Ms. Emily Shen.
For applicants, who are located outside of the above listed areas, please contact the Taiwan Representative Office in your area or in the nearest location. Check online for the Taiwan Representative Offices’ contact information.
● What materials are needed to apply?
The following documents are required before the application can be processed:
1. One copy of the completed Huayu Scholarship Application form.
2. One photocopy of US passport or other certificate of nationality.
3. One photocopy of the highest level diploma and an official sealed transcript.
4. Photocopy of completed application forms for the language training centers applied to in Taiwan, or other documents which can prove applicant’s admission status. For summer 2-month program applicants, an admission acceptance letter from a language center should be enclosed in the application material package.
5. Two recommendation letters, signed and aseled in envelopes. Photo copies and email submissions of letters of recommendation will not be considered.
6. HES Terms of Agreement
7. Participants of the TOCFL (Test of Chinese as a Foreign Language) held by the Education Division, TECO office, will also be considered with priority. As where and when to take TOCFL in Los Angeles, please click here for sign-up information.
● What else should applicants do?
1. Please note that scholarship applications and language center admission applications are separate. Applicants are responsible for their application to the language centers that they would like to attend. Applicants who are granted scholarships are not guaranteed admission to any language center. Applicants must make note of the different deadlines for scholarships and school admission. As for the list of certified Chinese Language Centers and how to apply for admission, please refer to the Ministry of Education website.
2. For summer 2-month program applicants, an admission acceptance letter of a certified language center should be enclosed right in application material package, and send to US for processing before March 31st.
3. For those who apply for 3 to 12 months, applicants need to submit a copy of the admission letter to TECO in order to secure their scholarship by no later than June 30th.
4. Late submission of these documents will be deemed as a waiver for accepting the scholarship. Candidates will be disqualified if they fail to pass the application review process of respective language centers.
● Selection Process
1. In principle, selection priority will be given based on applicants’ potential, such as ability to master the language and/or to those who eventually intend to undertake a further degree or to pursue career development related to the language or study of Taiwan.
2. Applications will be reviewed; applicants may be interviewed, if necessary, and will be notified of the preliminary result of the selection by (TECO) no later than May 10 of the year. Summer 2-month program applicants, will be notified the final result by April 30th.
3. After an admission acceptance letter of a language center sent by applicants is received, (TECO) will proceed to finalize its scholarship selection reviews. Except summer 2-month application, the final confirmation of scholarship recipients will be made by the end of July. The roster of the scholarship recipients will be submitted by the end of July to the Ministry of Education and the language centers they have been admitted to.
<< Back to Huayu Enrichment Scholarship